- Prepare the lobsters: using a knife, separate the head, then the claws from the body. Empty the heads and set them aside. Break the clamps at the base. Cook the bodies and claws in a large pot of salted boiling water for 3 or 4 minutes. Drain and immediately plunge them into a large container of cold water to stop the cooking.
- By hand or using a knife, remove the flesh from the inside of the carcass from the bodies and the claws, avoiding tearing it. Cut the flesh of the claws into large pieces. Reserve the flesh and the carcasses separately.
- Prepare the bisque: cut the carrot, celery and onion into 2 cm thick pieces. Heat the olive oil in a pan over medium heat and sauté for about 5 minutes.
- In a large sauté pan, cook the carcasses of the head, claws and body with a tablespoon of olive oil for 5 minutes over high heat. When they are lightly grilled, add the carrots, onion and celery, and brown them for 5 minutes over medium heat. Turn up the heat and deglaze by pouring in the brandy or whisky. Flambé.
- Reduce heat to low and add the tomatoes and tomato puree. Mix, cover with water and simmer for 20 minutes over low heat. Taste regularly: when the taste of the fish is strong enough, filter with a sieve (a very fine sieve) to keep only the juice.
- In a skillet, heat 2 tablespoons of olive oil over medium heat and sauté the garlic cloves for 5 minutes. Add the tomatoes and half the bisque. Continue cooking for about 5 minutes over medium heat.
- Meanwhile, cook the pasta al dente in a large pot of salted boiling water. Drain them with a slotted spoon, then put them in the pan. Add the rest of the bisque, bring to the boil, mixing well, until the liquid is almost absorbed but taking care that the mixture is not too dry.
- In another skillet, heat 1 tablespoon of olive oil over low heat and grill the flesh of the bodies and the pieces of claws for 8 minutes.
- Arrange on a large dish or directly on the plates: place the pasta, add the pan-fried lobster pieces, the carcasses of the heads and sprinkle with a few parsley leaves. Serve immediately and enjoy.
Recipe taken from Big Mamma’s Kitchen, the best recipes from our trattoriasPhaidon, €29.95